Tuesday, January 19, 2016

A highboy for the boys

Hello!! How are y'all doing? It was excruciating cold today, first day in the teens, ouch!! We are expecting a big snow storm this weekend too. Looks like winter has finally arrived to New England!

Today I will like to show you a highboy dresser I bought for the boys room.
I found it at the Brimfield antique show back in September. It wasn't in the best shape, but I saw potential and much needed storage on it. 
It sat in my garage for about two months, I new its destiny was the boys room, I just didn't know what to do with it.
The beds and the dresser are blue, so I was thinking blue too, but something was stopping me. I needed time to think about it. I needed to wait until the piece let me know what to do and how to paint it. I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes I just need to be patient and wait, and listen... And finally one day Mr. Highboy spoke to me loud and clear and told me "No, I don't want to be blue, I want to be red!" Red??? I was kind of shocked, but I said, "why not?" The boys room has a lot of blues and reds, so yes! red sounds good!! So red it was. I used Emperor's Silk by ASCP. 
And I absolutely love the result!!


Here is how I started, some of the veneer was missing and it had a few boo boos here and there. 



Some of the decorative trim was broken, so I just remove it all together. 


It had this cute pearl design in the center of the bottom part. I decided to continue this design in the place of the trim. I found the half pearls at Michael's and just glued them in place. 








A couple of coats of paint, clear wax, and there you have it!!






Hope you enjoyed this highboy make over! Thanks so much for stopping by. Have a great day!!

Cristina


Linking to:




1 comment:

  1. I love how that turned out! Your boys room is so cute. I'm looking forward to redoing my son's room next week. It has been neglected too long. Hope that you're doing ok with all of the snow that came your way this weekend!

    ReplyDelete